This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Shai Hulud Forum Index -> Applications
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Outsmoke

re: App: Outsmoke

The application submitted by Outsmoke is as follows:

Quote:
Our required raid days are Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Raids start at 8pm server (east) and usually end by 12:00 server, though on occasion we do go a bit late on a progression night. Would you be able to attend all these raids? (y/n if no, whi:
Yes

Email::
brandonr.a.wright@gmail.com

IM/MSN (Please list which)::
brandonraw (msn)

Character Name::
Escalus

Realm::
Duskwood

Class:
DeathKnight

Main Spec:
Frost Tank

Do you have dual specs? If so, what is it and do you have sufficient gear to do well at this offspec?:
Blood DPS

Please explain any talent choices that do not match the cookie cutter build of your chosen spec(s):
Generic

How well do you take criticism? Are you open minded to thoughts/suggestions on how to better your class or toon?:
I love being able to improve in anyway possible so criticism is welcome.

How long have you played WoW?:
Since Spring 2007

Previous Guilds (Please list all)::
Spoon, Endgamé

Under what circumstances did you leave your last guild?:
I was just an alt when in Spoon, and Endgamé just fell apart. I had 100% raid attendance.

Who do you know in Shai that would be willing to attest to the fact that 1. you don't suck and 2. you'd fit in with us?::
Falaskian

What is your reason for applying to Shai Hulud? What are you hoping to get out of joining, and in return what can you provide us?::
I am interested in raiding with players that take raid time seriously and work well together to achieve and be as competitive as possible.

Describe your previous raiding experience (Please include Hard Mode Experience)::
I have experience with various classes (Warlock, Paladin, Druid) stemming from BC. I have hardmode experience up until 3.3

You Must have the following to raid. Ventrilo (no mic ok)::
Yes

Deadly Boss Mods or Big Wigs::
Yes

Please provide a link to your armory (log out in PvE gear, for the spec you plan on raiding with us)::
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Duskwood&cn=Escalus

Please include a link to a screenshot of your UI.:
http://docs.google.com/View?id=dg3zkftc_18dc53xncx

Please list any online logs (WWS, WMO, WoL, or atleast a Recount screenshot) displaying your abilities (No the dog ate our logs is not acceptable, if you do not answer this question your app will probably be automatically denied):
http://docs.google.com/View?id=dg3zkftc_18dc53xncx

What do you hate?:
I hate liars, and people who take advantage of other people just because they may be bigger and stronger, or have an unfair advantage.

Open mic night - here is where you get to tell us anything we did not ask about, tell us a bedtime story, write some song lyrics, or whatever else you'd like to add to your ap::
I'm a college grad with a BS in IT, an event producer by profession, and a love for travelling (but never anywhere without internet).

Tits or ass? Feel free to go into detail on your explanation here.:
Ass all the way, I just love a nicely shaped ass. Tits aren't really important, I'd take Bee stings if the ass is right!

As one final question, How did you hear about our guild?:
Lol how could I not? Looked you up on wowprogress.com...

Sheshonk

re: DECLINED - App: Outsmoke - by Lyssan

Why frost over blood for tanking?
If you are 2h frost instead of duel wield, why didn't you pick up 20% raid haste?
Why did you get the frost emblem sigil?

I prefer the add control with frost, and I never really had a problem with threat gen. I couldn't spare the points for Improved Icy Talons. I can make blood tanking my secondary, but was forced to dps a lot in my old guild so it's currently Blood dps. I have experience with blood tanking as well. I have yet to get my hands on any good one handers to try out dw frost tanking but I will asap, but from what I've been reading dw dk tanks lack expertise and can be parry gibbed...not that that matters on most bosses in ICC. I know the 245 sigil is numerically better, but I wanted to see for myself.
Abberation (Moo)

I don't know Frost tanking that well, but you could easily drop Killing Machine for Icy Talons and then drop hunger cold - 99 percent useless in a raid - for Imp Icy Talons. The 25 percent haste for yourself would result in greater threat than killing machine would generate. (Dicounting AOE situations where Howling blast crits would be nice, but it shouldn't be necessary.

You mention threat not being an issue as a justification going Frost instead of Blood. Do you not value the additional survivability of Blood? You get 2 percent damage reduction and a longer IBF from Frost, true, as well as an ok cooldown in UA, but you in comparison you give give up additional Stam, Vampiric Blood, and WotN. Even before the change to WotN Blood was the winner in the survivability department, and with the change its far ahead. Given that in the current state of the game threat isn't an issue for even a half-competent tank, it would seem to be more advantageous to go blood. Thoughts?

Immoovabull wrote:
I don't know Frost tanking that well, but you could easily drop Killing Machine for Icy Talons and then drop hunger cold - 99 percent useless in a raid - for Imp Icy Talons. The 25 percent haste for yourself would result in greater threat than killing machine would generate. (Dicounting AOE situations where Howling blast crits would be nice, but it shouldn't be necessary.

You mention threat not being an issue as a justification going Frost instead of Blood. Do you not value the additional survivability of Blood? You get 2 percent damage reduction and a longer IBF from Frost, true, as well as an ok cooldown in UA, but you in comparison you give give up additional Stam, Vampiric Blood, and WotN. Even before the change to WotN Blood was the winner in the survivability department, and with the change its far ahead. Given that in the current state of the game threat isn't an issue for even a half-competent tank, it would seem to be more advantageous to go blood. Thoughts?

Ok I can def see how those changes would improve my threat in a raid with no frost dks, but the guild I came from had a full time frost dk spec'd into IIT. Also I am aware of the Blood changes and intent in Cata to make Blood the official tanking spec. So I guess in a perfect World I'd be I'd be duel spec'd Blood/Frost Tank and switch depending on what the situation calls for.
Outsmoke

Actually on second thought, I think that [Hungering Cold] and [Killing Machine] are more valuable for me for the following reasons 1) The 20% haste buff only affects my white dmg where as the Icy Touch, Howling Blast, and Frost Strike Crits give me more threat imo, and 2) I've been in many situations where Hungering cold has saved lives because new adds are pulled while lock seed and various other aoes were in play.
zenflux

It really shouldn't matter about trash tanking...any tank class can do it and who cares if a dps dies because they pulled aggro...they shouldn't be in the first place.

Boss tanking is what is important.
Outsmoke

zenflux wrote:
It really shouldn't matter about trash tanking...any tank class can do it and who cares if a dps dies because they pulled aggro...they shouldn't be in the first place.

Boss tanking is what is important.

True, I'm sorry I guess I'm used to dealing with a few fail dps that aren't very situationally aware. Would it be acceptable if I were to spec into both Blood and Frost tanking specs? And if need be, I can also do respectable dps on my ret pally Fastrada, who is unfortunately logged out with ProtRet pvp gear on and the server is down.
Nigrupt
Applicant

re: Re: App: Outsmoke

Outsmoke wrote:
Who do you know in Shai that would be willing to attest to the fact that 1. you don't suck and 2. you'd fit in with us?::
Falaskian

Who's Failaskian?? DENIED!!!

your "combat log" looks like a 10second fight with a target dummy

your ui is interesting to say the least; appears to be a clicker and you have your survivability cds/trinkets on f-keys that are on the far side of your keyboard (dont let shonk see that!). also, im no expert at dk's but where's your blood strike? frost dk's both tank and dps use blood strike right?? cant imagine the only blood rune ability you use while your frost and unholy runes are on cd is blood boil (though your "combat log" doesnt show you using blood strike) .. and i sure hope your rune strike is bound to your nifty little macros you have for your 2 and 3 keys. must have some really long fingers to reach alllll the way over to that 0 key if its not macro'd.

meh, what do i know .... im just a mere shaman who dies on every encounter because i'm cybering with toblee.

snoogans

re: Re: App: Outsmoke

Falaskian

Who's Failaskian?? DENIED!!!

your "combat log" looks like a 10second fight with a target dummy

your ui is interesting to say the least; appears to be a clicker and you have your survivability cds/trinkets on f-keys that are on the far side of your keyboard (dont let shonk see that!). also, im no expert at dk's but where's your blood strike? frost dk's both tank and dps use blood strike right?? cant imagine the only blood rune ability you use while your frost and unholy runes are on cd is blood boil (though your "combat log" doesnt show you using blood strike) .. and i sure hope your rune strike is bound to your nifty little macros you have for your 2 and 3 keys. must have some really long fingers to reach alllll the way over to that 0 key if its not macro'd.

meh, what do i know .... im just a mere shaman who dies on every encounter because i'm cybering with toblee.

snoogans

To tell you the truth I wasn't exactly sure how thurough to be when it came to my Recount screenshot. After all, the question only asks for "atleast a Recount screenshot, displaying your abilities", and after looking at the screenshot I can see where anyone could have mistakenly overlooked the dark green area on the pie chart, which one can infer belongs to my Blood Strike Ability that is displayed just out of view due to an inability to adjust the size of the Recount Detail Window. But yes, you're absolutely right, it is a short run on a target dummy =)

Also it's funny you mentioned my hands because I happen to have freakishly large hands capable of spanning my entire Microsoft SideWinder x6 keyboard. Don't believe me? http://docs.google.com/View?id=dg3zkftc_22gtwr3tgd

As far as my UI goes, I started out using 50+ addons with view ports and extravagent HuD's but I found this minimalistic approach more appealing because it puts all the info I need to know right in my face. I now believe in the KISS model (Keep it simple stupid!) that I learned as an IT student back in college.

When it comes to my macros, KISS is out the window. I use an array of in-game macros as well as keyboard macros to perform many functions. I think the easiest way to explain the way I play is to break it down by spec and situation...

As a Blood Tank in AoE Situations I drop a DnD then use a cast sequence macro to apply and spread my diseases with my left hand, then I tab-target through all the mobs using my right hand for my Heart Strike, Death strike, and Death Coil abilities, which by the way are all
macro-ed to attempt to cast Runestrike and Bloodtap whenever available. Other than that I have alt modifiers for my left hand as well, enabling me to quickly use mindfreeze and deathgrip whenever necessary.

As a Blood Tank in Single Target Situations I use a castsequence macro to apply my diseases with my left hand. and I use my right hand for my Heart Strike, Death strike, and Death Coil abilities, which are all macro-ed to attempt to cast Runestrike and Bloodtap whenever available.

As a Frost Tank in AoE Situations I drop a DnD and Howling Blast then use a castsequence macro to apply and spread my diseases with my left hand, then I tab-target through all the mobs using my right hand to spam Howling Blast, Blood Strike, and Frost Strike, with my pinky figer hovering over my Hungering Cold ability ready to pick up loose adds. Which are again, all macroed to attempt to cast Runestrike and Blood Tap whenever available.

As a Frost Tank in Single Target Situations I use a castsequence macro to run through Icy Touch, Plague Strike, Obliterate, Blood Strike, Blood Strike, Icy Touch, Plague Strike, Obliterate, Obliterate on my left hand, while using my right hand to spam Howling Blast, Rune Strike, and Frost Strike. I choose not to use the macroed Rune Strike in this situation because I like being able to better manage my runic power in case I need to pop defensive cool downs like Icebound Fortitude, anti-magic shell, and death pact which all require between 20-40 runic power.

Oh and lawl! I'm no clicker by far...the only things I click are when laying my DnD and applying my Hysteria to the feral druid by left clicking their name on my Grid addon.

You guys are pretty thurough, I hope I get in! =)

Guest Post Rules are In Effect for this Post
MescaliNo

Well I am going to have to agree with Shonk... should never be frost when you could be blood for tanking 25mans. I can see the benefit of having additional AoE threat in 10s or 5 mans but in 25 man you should be more concerned about making it easier for the healers to keep you up and the best spec for that is blood especially with the 15% bonus HP ontop of the blood spec bonus is just crazy nuts. And 2 hand frost tank on top of that? I are confuzzled... not to mention your play style seems needlessly complicated (hey whatever works for u i guess) Anyway! the position we are looking for is both a dps and a tank spot... do u have any dps gear or spec that we could see? Also meters with your dps would be good.
Abberation (Moo)

The old you guys are thorough I hope I get in strat!

Just kidding, glad you can appreciate it. >_> But maybe we should let him in on account of just his big hands so he and Zeet's big arms can have a fight to the death.

MescaliNo wrote:
Well I am going to have to agree with Shonk... should never be frost when you could be blood for tanking 25mans. I can see the benefit of having additional AoE threat in 10s or 5 mans but in 25 man you should be more concerned about making it easier for the healers to keep you up and the best spec for that is blood especially with the 15% bonus HP ontop of the blood spec bonus is just crazy nuts. And 2 hand frost tank on top of that? I are confuzzled... not to mention your play style seems needlessly complicated (hey whatever works for u i guess) Anyway! the position we are looking for is both a dps and a tank spot... do u have any dps gear or spec that we could see? Also meters with your dps would be good.

Sure I can do that. I'll log out in my dps gear right now...I must say in my opinion my dps gear is not very impressive, but it can be improved very quickly with BoE's badge gear and such...Do you need me as Blood or Unholy?
Outsmoke

Immoovabull wrote:
The old you guys are thorough I hope I get in strat!

Just kidding, glad you can appreciate it. >_> But maybe we should let him in on account of just his big hands so he and Zeet's big arms can have a fight to the death.

Lawl!
Nigrupt
Applicant

you bet your ass im thorough ... rare tag on your pic, RAPE!!! (first thing i noticed but didnt think it needed mentioning)

Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum